I GOT THE JOB!!!

19:09:00

So yesterday I went for a Graduate Assessment interview with a company that I've been keen to work with for a while and maybe you can guess from the title, but today I got a phone call to say that I got the job!!!!!!!!

Girls are happy mum got the job!!
Right now I am in such a little bubble, I cannot believe that they gave it to me because, let me tell you, I really did think I bombed it yesterday! I've had a horrendous time since Saturday, as I ended up in hospital due to a bad sinus infection, where the whole left side of my face had swollen up and it felt like someone was continually punching me in the face. It really wasn't good. I was given antibiotics, but couldn't believe this could happen to me 3 days before the most important interview of my life!! 

Anyway, when I woke up yesterday I still felt awful but there was no way I was cancelling this interview, it was too important and my family's future depended on this (no pressure then!!)

The Graduate Assessment consisted of 4 parts; firstly I had an hour long competency based interview, which I felt was the most positive part of my day as I had tried to study a number of examples I could give, prior to the interview. However, the last 2 questions were not ones that I could have studied for and didn't have a clue what to answer! I had that sinking feeling in my stomach that from here on in the day was just going to get worse.

Secondly I had 60minutes to read through a scenario which included 4 pages of data which I had to analyse, in order to come to a conclusion. This for me was by far the worst task of the day. Analysis is normally my strength, but the fact I was under so much pressure, and of course still not feeling well, meant that my head really didn't feel like it was taking in any information and I continually doubted myself the whole way throughout it, which was a horrible feeling. My legs were also constantly shaking throughout due to nerves.

This analysis led on to the third part of the day which was a presentation to the panel on my findings from my analysis. Doing the usual Emma thing, I literally opened my mouth and let my words spill out. I was allocated a 15 minute slot and finished my presentation within 5 minutes due to talking so fast! God it felt so horrible! The panel were so nice though and when they asked me questions I began to relax slightly, they really weren't as scary as I thought they would be! I was finished my presentation before any other candidate, so at that moment I felt for sure I had bombed it.

After lunch, the final assessment was a group exercise, where I had to work alongside the other candidates to come to a decision based on a scenario we were given. I did feel this was a good exercise but then I started to over think and didn't know if I was speaking too much or not speaking enough. It's really hard to know what an employer is looking for. I didn't want to appear over bearing but I didn't want them thinking I couldn't hold my own either! So much to think about, no one warns you of this!

Needless to say at the end of this day I was completely drained, emotional and my brain felt like mush. I was so glad that it was over! I can't believe how much you have to go through to try and get a graduate job, but I also do understand that these companies are going to be investing a massive amount in you over 2 years, so it is in their interest to get the best people!

A massive positive of the day however, was meeting the other candidates, there was such a variety of people from different countries and backgrounds and it was so interesting to hear all their stories. Also rather daunting too though as they all seemed way more interesting than myself and far more intellectual! They were a really nice bunch and I had the thought in my head that I wouldn't mind losing out to any of them as they were all lovely!

But the shocker of a phone call came today to say that I had been successful! I burst into tears on the phone, soooo embarrasing, I really need to get myself together haha! This means so much to me and my family though, I had so much riding on this as it's been a tough 4 years which has put all our lives on hold.



I could not be more thankful for this opportunity, it hasn't quite sunk in yet but I am absolutely over the moon! I still have a lot to do over the next few months and don't start until September


Emma xxxx

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews